Huwebes, Hulyo 9, 2015

Shelter Family Room: The Plan

Today I’m excited to be sharing another space I’m working on this month, it’s a family media room for an emergency shelter in my hometown. Longtime readers know each year I donate my time to my local Committee on the Shelterless (COTS), a non-profit that provides services to prevent and break the cycle of homelessness for children, families, and single adults. This shelter I’m working with right now is known as the COTS Family Center, it has 11 rooms and serves homeless families with children.

Last year for COTS I helped pull together a work clothes closet, the year before we painted a shelter exterior, the year before we remodeled two kitchens, this one and this one, the list goes on, find all of the posts and projects from the past here.

This year I offered my design services to create a family/media room for the emergency shelter Family Center, each room is shared by a family in crisis. The length of stay at the shelter ranges from three to six months, depending on the difficulty families have finding housing. 

I reached out to World Market as a sponsor for this project and being such a generous brand, they agreed to provide the all of the furnishings for the space !! THANK YOU WORLD MARKET! This will be the family room that all families share, but the purpose is a relaxing space for the parents since the children have a separate play area. Children are allowed of course but the room is mainly to serve the adults.

Here’s a picture of the space taken two months ago, since then the flooring and baseboards have been installed and the room has been painted. As you can see it’s a blank canvas so I’m excited to create a cozy welcoming space!

cots image

 

I sketched a space plan to give you an idea of layout, it’s a long narrow room so I’ve broken it into two zones, a reading/laptop zone with a table at the back (I found a pedestal at a thrift store and I’m refinishing it) then pairing it with two World Market wingback chairs. In the center will be the sectional sofa/rug/media stand combo and I’ll decorate around the pieces shown below.

 

cots shelter family room

 

I wanted this space to appeal to all so the pieces are neutral, comfortable, and practical, but included among the basics are a combination of texture, color, and patterned accessories. Below are the main pieces I’m planning on including, I’ll surprise you with the smaller accessories when I photograph the completed room.

world market shelter family room

Triton High Back Chair x 2 / Shadow Flower Curtains x 2 /  Sapphire Harbin Accent Table / Large Scale Zoey Map ArtHarrow Media Stand / Charcoal Abbot Sofa / Ball Drapery Rod / Tonal Hooked Rug 6 x 9 / Bamboo Floor Lamp

I’m pulling it together this month and will have a full room reveal in a few weeks, stay tuned!

Shelter Family Room: The Plan is a post from Centsational Girl Republishing this article in full or in part is a violation of copyright law. © 2009-2015, all rights reserved.

The post Shelter Family Room: The Plan appeared first on Centsational Girl.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento