Martes, Setyembre 22, 2015

Favorites Under $50: Patterned Panels

I’m redecorating in the studio above our garage so I went in search of new window panels – 8 in total – 4 to frame the 72” window, a set for the French doors, and 2 for the smaller windows beside the bed. I wanted panels all in the same fabric for a cohesive feel since the living and sleeping spaces in this studio are open to each other.

My approach to dressing windows varies, the first thing that grabs me has to be the fabric, sometimes I’ll design it myself but often it’s a pattern I spy in a fabric store or retail store that I just love at first sight. Over the years, I’ve had curtains custom made, I’ve sewn my own with with designer fabric, but I’ve used simple store bought curtains if the size and price is right and the fabric is good quality. If unlined, I’ll add $4/yard liner if the window can be seen from the outside.

The sale price for these store bought 96” panels caught my eye and to design and print a similar pattern would have cost more than twice as much so instead I ordered 8 of them. I’ll hem them to the proper length and then add rings on top. Funny, the green versions hang in my dining room and now I have the navy versions too, I just love this curvy brushstroke print! I’ll share the redecorated studio space in the upcoming weeks…

I’m drawn to single color or tone on tone patterned curtains which repeat one of the colors in the space, be it a neutral or a colorful hue, it’s one of the simplest way to make a room feel layered and interesting. I rounded up a dozen favorites I spied online, all of them under $50.

Cotton Mosaic – two colors

cotton mosaic

Ogee Jacquard

ogee jaquard

Alexis

alexis

Tie Dye

tie dye

Hex Sheers

hex sheers

Easton

easton

Ivy Ankara

ankara

Alexander – three colors

alexander

Paisley – Washed Blue

paisley

Tile – Semi Sheer – Multiple Colors

tile semi

Portinari – Multiple Colors

portinari

Rambah

rambah

A word on hanging curtains at the proper length, typically retailers will photograph curtains hung on a rod placed just above the window frame like in all the examples above, but this is a practice I don’t follow.

While the patterns are pretty, the panels should be hung at a minimum halfway between window and ceiling. Any designer will tell you, the closer to the ceiling the better for a more elegant look and to make the space feel taller. I hang my curtain rods just a few inches below the ceiling. In my home where the ceilings are 9 feet I’ll always buy a 96” curtain and hem it to a length between 92 and 94”.

Finally the issue of fullness, most store bought curtains are not wider than 48 – 50” so on a window wider than 5 feet, I’ll double up the panels for adequate fullness.

What luck have you had decorating with store bought curtains?

The post Favorites Under $50: Patterned Panels appeared first on Centsational Girl.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento