Huwebes, Marso 24, 2016

'House of Cards" Answers Question: Where Should A Backsplash End?




Where to end a backsplash | Image source:










As a result of having written these posts about kitchen backsplash design, I often get questions from readers.

These are the posts I'm referring to:

So many of the questions revolve around where to end a backsplash. 

You see, many times there are circumstances where following a rule — like this one that I believe strongly in — still makes for an odd situation. It makes for something atypical and something that makes a homeowner…nervous. 

Here are pics from two of my jobs showing how a backsplash should end (IMO), with the splash lining up with the upper cabinet:







Where to end a backsplash | Designer: Carla Aston














Where to end a backsplash | Designer: Carla Aston








In my jobs, I try to get the cabinetry designed where the top and bottom cabinets line up so that the backsplash ending becomes completely logical. It all fits together like a puzzle.

However, in many cases, they don't. The lower countertops extend beyond the uppers and create a bit of indecision on where to end the backsplash....end it with the countertop/lower cabinets OR with the uppers? That's where people seem to have the biggest design dilemma, where to end the backsplash if the countertops and upper cabinets don't line up?

 

Many times homeowners, contractors, builders, and even tile installers, think it should end with the countertop.

This causes that odd looking tiled backsplash to hang out on the wall by itself, just ending in mid-air, often for no good reason. (The good reason would be if there is a water source or cooktop close by.)

Basically, contractors and builders want to cover the joint between the countertop and the wall with the tile, because it will cover any gap or uneven/bowed wall that the counter might be butting up against. 

Of course, the countertop can be scribed to the wall during installation — so that doesn’t have to be an issue, but it takes more time and skill, which, of course…costs money.

I was binge watching House of Cards the other night when low and behold…I saw the very best example of what I have been talking about, IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

It was the kitchen set, of course, where Claire and Francis were making coffee and having a conversation. I jumped up and started taking pics immediately. My husband thought I was crazy!

Here it is, the perfect example of how the backsplash ENDS WITH THE UPPER CABINETS and NOT the countertop!

The countertop and lower cabinets run on further, but the backsplash ends before the countertop does!!!

I feel like my design preaching has been justified! Doesn’t it look beautiful this way? See???? ;-)







Where to end a backsplash | Image source:














Where to end a backsplash | Image source:














Where to end a backsplash | Image source:














Where to end a backsplash | Image source:








Screenshots credit: Netflix's "House of Cards"







Diagram highlighting the detail.jpg








BTW:

Here’s just a peek of my new kitchen backsplash that I recently shared on Instagram. Are you following me there? I’m posting lots of project updates and designer tidbits these days. You can follow me here: Carla Aston on Instagram 







My kitchen backsplash | Interior Designer: Carla Aston








Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento